GrapeCity has a lot of sites across several countries and they are all built and maintained in a different way by different teams. I was tasked with laying the groundwork for ActiveReports, ActiveAnalysis, and Spread. It needed to be lightweight, fast, and easily translated which lead me down the path of the static site generator Metalsmith. Content is completely separated from code in markdown files that can easily be shared, edited, and translated by anyone.
- Product managers adapted to the system easily and were able to create production content without my help.
- It's fast, under 1 second page load was the goal and it's well below that in some cases.
- New instances of the site are easily created for different languages or other products.
- A common framework using SCSS where a new theme can be created by changing variables.
- Build and deployment is simple, one line builds the entire site into a folder.